• facebook
  • twitter
  • google+
  • pinterest
  • rss

Friday, April 25, 2014

How To Tether Your Android Smartphone In Linux

Android Tether
in this post we will talk about how to tether android device in linux operating system. Android has a feature for sharing internet connection with other device that connecting with android, such as via USB cable. In this tutorial I use Samsung GT-S7500 device (android 2.3.6 Gingerbread) and debian 6 (squeeze) as operating system on my computer. 

Here's step by step how to tether android device in Linux/debian via USB cable.


Activate data packet on android device:
  1. go to Settings >> Wireless and Network >> Mobile Networks
  2. tick option Use packet data to activate it
And now the android device has been connected to the internet

Activate USB Tethering on android device:
  1. connect android device to the computer using USB cable
  2. go to Settings >> Wireless and Network >> Tethering and portable hotspot
  3. tick USB Tethering to activate it

Finally, now the computer got connection to the internet.

Linux issue:
I was using debian squeeze as main operating system on my computer. When I was online there's something that make me had to shut down the USB Tethering for a while, I had to disconnect the USB cable from the computer because I had to do something else. When I was done and I tried to reconnect the USB Tethering, but something wrong happened. The computer couldn't receive internet access from android device, whereas computer and android device had been connected via USB cable and I also activated the USB Tethering from android device. Finally I had to restart my computer to get the connection back from USB Tethering. If you are facing the same problem, actually we just have to restart the network-manager on computer to get the connection back. Here's what you should do:
  1. make sure the computer is connected to the android device via USB cable
  2. activate the USB Tethering
  3. on computer, open terminal
  4. login as superuser (root)
  5. in my system network-manager placed on /etc/init.d/, so I used this command to get access to the network-manager "/etc/init.d/network-manager restart" to restart the network-manager
  6. and now everything should be working fine

android tethering

No comments:

Post a Comment